For people who are looking for effective and safe ways to lose weight, the Nutrisystem and Medifast diet programs are ideal. Both these diet planners have introduced easy-to-follow diet plans which aim at reducing your daily calorie intake without causing harm to your health. However, while Medifast ensures that you can lose a huge amount of weight in a short time, Nutrisystem aims at steady weight loss. This is perhaps why weight loss from Nutrisystem plans is easier to sustain as compared to Medifast. To understand the differences between these two diet planners, it is important to review their plans well, comparing their pros and cons.
- Convenience: In terms of convenience, both Nutrisystem and Medifast will ensure that precooked and packaged meals are delivered to your doorstep. With Nutrisystem, you can enjoy both shelf stable foods and frozen gourmet meals. With Medifast, you will be given five precooked meals and you must prepare a single green-and-lean meal. The meals provided by Medifast will help you lose as much as five pounds in a single week. In comparison, Nutrisystem will probably help you to lose a couple of pounds every week.
- Customizability: When you sign up with Nutrisystem, you can enjoy different kinds of meals for different kinds of dieters. So, you will be able to buy separate plans for men and women, for children and elderly, for diabetics and vegans. Such choices are not available with Medifast. Moreover, Nutrisystem allows you to select from more than 150 delicious mouthwatering recipes which can be suitably customized to suit your tastes. When you choose Medifast, you can get five meals daily from options such as pretzels, soups, brownies etc. The choice of menus is not as wide as in the case of Nutrisystem and many of their meals are in the form of nutritious shakes.
- Variety of Plans: When you choose Nutrisystem, you can select from three main categories of meal plans, namely Basic Pans, Core Plans and Uniquely Yours plans. Besides these key options, you can also choose Nutrisystem Silver for seniors and Nutrisystem D for people with Type 2 diabetes. More recently, Nutrisystem has also come out with plans like Fast Five and My way followed by Nutrisystem Turbo 10 which aims at accelerating weight loss. In contrast, Medifast does not have so many specialized meal options and you can only use personalized options like the maintenance plans and transition plans for women.
- Meal Compositions: Nutrisystem meals contain foods that have low Glycemic Index or GI because these help to keep your blood glucose levels stable. At the same time, Nutrisystem meals will have low salt and sugar content in order to make sure that your blood pressure levels are also stable. Meals primarily comprise of fibers, whole grains and lean proteins which will keep you feeling full for longer periods. In comparison, Medifast meals mainly consist of shakes and soups, side dishes and nutrition bars that are you can use for making your own menus. Nutrisystem meals have “good carbs” in them but the absence of carbs in Medifast meals in an attempt to drastically cut down on daily calorie intake can make their meals hard to digest; they may also deny dieters a prime source of energy for the body.
- Flexibility: When you buy Nutrisystem plans, you can comfortably adjust the menus to cater to your personal tastes or preferences. so, you can change the menus from time to time or even shift from one meal plan to another without any difficult. However, when you sign up for Medifast plans; you do not have this flexibility to customize the menus; Medifast will also not encourage changing the meal ingredients or buying fresh fruits and vegetables to supplement their meals. Moreover, when you sign up for Nutrisystem plans, you do not have to watch your meal portions as their meals are both calorie-controlled and portion-controlled. In Medifast meals, such advantages are not provided to the dieters.
- Weight Loss Monitoring: Nutrisystem allows its dieters to monitor their weight loss progress by using user-friendly tracking tools that are available on their website, such as weight loss charts, weight loss trackers etc. Dieters can also benefit from free online counseling facilities offered by Nutrisystem diet experts. They can get valuable weight loss tips and advice from fellow-dieters and experts through their online community. Such advantages are not offered by Medifast and their site offers only a helpful FAQ section where you may find answers to your questions.
- Workout Help: When you choose Nutrisystem, you will be given DVDs and workout programs according to your meal plan choices. However, Medifast does not offer any such DVDs on how to lose weight through exercises. They may give you guidelines but it is always advisable to consult an expert before you start working out.
- Pricing: Finally, in terms of costs, Nutrisystem offers a huge advantage compared to Medifast and other competitors. Nutrisystem meals are priced at approximately $11 a day whereas Medifast meals priced much higher. When you sign up for the Basic Nutrisystem meals, you will end up spending about $342 a month. You can also enjoy huge cost savings because of their online discount coupons. While Medifast meals may be reasonably priced, you will need to buy extra food. The costs may vary depending on your choice of menu and it will come to around $160 for two weeks; this amount is quite steep compared to Nutrisystem meals.
In view of these differences one can conclude that it is perhaps better to start your weight loss journey with a diet planner like Nutrisystem which understands your needs and does not aim to make you lose a huge amount of weight at one go. It tries to teach you healthy eating habits so that you can sustain the weight loss. Most importantly, Nutrisystem meals are accompanied by a money-back guarantee which lets you return their products if you are not satisfied with the outcome and claim refunds.